Hi there. Today is day 24 of my 60 day challenge to become a Unity Game Developer!
24 days in and I have officially completed my first 2D game! Wow.
First let me show you the game then I’ll give you my thoughts:
Here are some of my general takeaways:
- I really think that learning how to build games is the perfect way to learn programming or solidify concepts that you may have exposure to but don’t fully grasp. Having a visual representation of objects can be really helpful to someone trying to understand the concepts of OOP. Also Unity itself provides a pretty intuitive interface that would probably feel very familiar to most people regardless of their programming experience which could help to ease the learning curve that most people have when first getting started with other languages in other environments.
- Love how creative you can be with game development!! It’s crazy to see the differences between me and my teammates games even though a lot of the foundation of our games is exactly the same.
- Finishing the game is bitter sweet. Honestly, I feel like there are so many things I could add or do to make this game better. I’m pleased with how it turned out generally but look forward to hopefully adding more and more things to it overtime after the internship.
What I want to do better on the next project:
- Ask for help more often. It was important to me that I did as much as I could on my own. This is not to say that I did do everything on my own as I had lots of help from my tech lead and my teammates but I definitely would spend a lot of time trying to work stuff out. This is a good and a bad thing. I’m happy to have challenged myself but in retrospect I definitely feel like this may have stifled my growth as the times I did ask for help, I learned some really helpful and efficient ways to do things. I also feel that this is part of what caused me to take so long to finish in the first place.
- With that said, for this next part I really want to try and move at a faster pace. It’s not a race but I want to make sure I am able to get through as much of the material as possible.
Final Touches that were made today :
- Made a few small adjustments to boss and super laser.
- Added in a flash prior to the boss instantiation on the last wave.
- Fixed some wonky bugs that popped up with my homing missile and powerup spawns.
Did not get a chance to post this to my website yet! Will definitely do that sometime this weekend. I’ll be sure to drop a link when I do. You can also check the codebase out here if you’re interested: https://github.com/marmcrae/Space-Shooter.
Learned SOOO much from this 2D course. Very excited to continue to learn and grow in this amazing opportunity that I find myself in. Will be back at it tomorrow for D1 of a new cinematography course!
See ya then.