Good Morning! Here is a recap of yesterday, Day 26 of my 60 day challenge to become a Unity Game Developer!
Yesterday was frustrating. Not gonna lie. It started off with me spending an hour or so trying to remove a large file from a commit that wouldn’t push to github due to how big it was. I tried tracking the file with git lfs as well as removing the file, resetting it back to a previous commit and all kinds of trickery to get it to work. I have gone through this before with the 2D shooter as well which resulted in me losing about a day or so of progress…No pressure… Luckily, I didn’t lose any work this time but still know that I need much more practice with git before I really get a handle on it. In case anyone finds themselves in this situation here are steps you can take to try to remove the large file, update your commit, and push.
I wish I could say that things went better after that but something got funky with the way the game was compiling which resulted in this?
Instead of this ?
Here is the error:
I got a late start yesterday, so by the time I was at this point it was already pretty late and between this and the git stuff, I was already pretty over it. Like I mentioned before, sometimes it’s really best to just step away which is also why I’m writing my blog post this morning. Not sure if this error is due to some of the git changes I made or because of something else. It almost looks like the lighting got screwy but the error is referencing the cinemachine…Hoping to get it back to where it needs to be sometime today.
Good news is that amidst the craziness I did learn a lot about Timeline and Cinemachine. Here are some things I learned:
- Learned about how in some ways creating these scenes are very similar to how movies/shows are created! Just like in film, it is important to catch the right angle and have the right focal points to create the most aesthetically pleasing shots. One example of this is the rule of thirds. The rule of thirds is not just used with games but also photography, films, etc. The idea is to position actors or important objects off center along a 3 x 3 grid to give the shot more structure and make it more visually appealing.
- Learned about how the cinemachine virtual camera is used by the main camera to compose the shot. It acts just like a camera would on a set, hence the name, virtual camera. You set this to a GameObject.
- Learned about the importance of priority levels and how to jump between shots via Solo. The priority level determines what shot takes priority and is shown first.
- Learned how to put together an animation with the cutscene shots in Timeline to create a finished scene! That is what is going on in the gif. Can’t wait to show you what it really looks like :-). It’s pretty cool.
- Learned about how you can blend shots together in Timeline for a smoother transition from one shot to another.
Challenges today :
- Nothing aside from what was already mentioned.
Even though I faced a lot of challenges yesterday, I’m still really excited to keep working on this project. It is so interesting to learn about all of these little but extremely important things that go into making a great game that I as the consumer, wouldn’t even think twice about. Definitely have a deeper appreciation for the creators and excited to continue to grow into a creator myself 😁.
See you later tonight.